Friday 28 November 2008

Furniture - Bed & Mattress


While staying in furnished rental accommodation, there is no need of buying bed & mattress, sofa or any other furniture. Most of us will think so. What to do when you have more number of visitors where you cannot avail seat for everyone in the sofa. Either you have to buy some folding chairs (space saving) or you have to ask the visitors to sit on the mat on the floor in Indian way. J . So I bought an economical £8 folding chair in Argos. Well this is the simple scenario.

This year I had invited my parents to come and stay with me in London for couple of months. I’ve to provide them bedding during their stay. Then it was one month time for their arrival. I was staying in single bedroom apartment and I was not willing to move to two bedroom apartment just for the shorter period of their stay. Luckily my Living room was bigger enough to put bed and mattress for them.

I started looking for bed and mattress; I was looking for space saving bed and mattress in Argos catalogue. My Idea was that the bed and mattress should not occupy more space when not in use. I found something called stacked beds, two single beds which can be stacked one on another while not in use (Space saving!). Yeah I found the product the way I want.

I was ordering that stacked bed and mattress through phone. They said it would take 48 days to get the bed set delivered. Oh no! My parents are coming in just one month. What to do? We went to local High street shops in Eastham. We saw few bed and mattress set, neither they are space saving nor cheap. You won’t get any warranty or no return policy. Not fair, what to do next? I ordered for the same stacked bed and mattress set in Argos, while ordering I saw an option to buy 3 years Insurance for this product with one year normal warranty.

Mmmm Interesting, I know about “Home Insurance”, “Life Insurance”, “Travel Insurance”, “Bike Insurance” and so on. What is this? Insurance for bed and mattress? Yes Argos has Insurance cover for almost all the product they sell. The Insurance cost will be based on the value of your product. Cost of my Bed and mattress set was £150 and insurance cover cost was £25. I felt Ok to buy insurance cover as well.

Bed and mattress was delivered 10 days after my parents reached UK, Somehow we managed those 10 days. We did self assembly. As it was stacked bed, our parents were bit unhappy about the height of bed and mattress, so sadL. We started looking for Bed raisers; that is a different story. They stayed almost two months with us. Just few days before their departure my dad’s Bed Frame and two slates were broken while he was lying on the bed. Oh no. We managed those two days somehow.

After my parent left UK, I called Argos and told them it was accidentally broken with in the warranty period; I added that I purchased Insurance cover as well. They said no need for the Insurance as the product was broken with in warranty period they can replace with same product or some other product. If the cost of new item is more, the customer has to pay the difference otherwise balance amount will be refunded back. Good deal! This time I just ordered sturdy self assembly steel bed frame only which cost me only £90. The balance amount was refunded back. Somehow I managed to get the refund amount for insurance as well saying that I returned the product. After few days of argument they agreed to return back the money and they did it.

Imagine If the Bed and mattress was broken after 1 year and there is no Insurance cover, I don’t have any other option other than disposing it with loss of money. My personal advice is: it is always good to buy Insurance cover for expensive products like Plasma TV, Bed and mattress, sofa etc.

No comments: